Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Auction

Tonight is the evening of The Auction. The auction of the house closest to mine.

I know by city standards, it is a long ways away (like almost 1/2 mile). But my family has lived next to THAT family for over 3 generations. It is very sad to me that Eldon & Arlene died with no heirs and the place is going up for random auction and I will, for the first time in my life, have strangers living next to me. (Depending on who buys it, of course).

I walked over to the old house last night by myself, and said a prayer, leaving it in God's hands to provide good neighbors for me; people who will care about the place and the legacy and will want to hand it down through generations of their own family. Not city people who don't understand that. But it is very hard for me to "let go" emotionally and trust God to handle it. Although I know He can and will.

To complicate things, a friend of mine from a nearby town wants to bid on it, and he keeps calling me because he can't make it to the auction due to work, so wants me to keep him on the phone during the auction and bid on his behalf. I've very uncomfortable with that. I know some of the other people who MIGHT bid on it, and I don't want to be put in that position. I'm not sure how to handle that dilemma at this point.

But in two hours from now, the auction will begin. The place will no longer be "the Smith place" for the first time since 1869. Hard to imagine.

No comments: